Bedding-In Disc Brakes
Your new bike is equipped with disc brakes, the best in stopping power during any weather.
To ensure your new brakes perform at their best, they require a simple breaking-in process, or what bike mechanics like to call “bedding-in”.
Follow this recommended process:
- Find a place to ride with plenty of room. Pedal at a moderate speed (about nine miles per hour).
- While sitting, apply the brakes evenly, without skidding, until speed drops to a walking pace.
- Release the brakes while you’re still moving - and DO NOT COME TO A STOP.
- Repeat 10 times, increasing the speed slightly each time. You will feel brake power increasing with each repetition. Be careful not to skid during the process.
- Never come to a complete stop in the middle of the bedding-in process. The transfer layer applied to the rotor needs to be consistent, and coming to a stop may leave extra pad material in one spot on the rotor and cause noise later.
- Enjoy your new bike!